JAINA supports veganism, which we understand to mean not eating, wearing, or using animal products, because we object to both animal suffering and animal killing. We do not support animal use that is supposedly "humane” and we do not support the marketing of animal products labeled as "humane.”
The JAINA Eco-Vegan Project was one of the featured exhibitions at the 2013 JAINA Convention in Novi, MI. The exhibition included informative posters and interactive activities explaining everything from vegan celebrities to the benefits of a non-dairy-based diet.
Two year Goals
- Vegan Vows during Paryushan and Das Lakshan. 30% of Jains takes vows during Paryushan and Das Lakshan. e.g. Being vegan for 1 full day, 8 full days, 10 full days.
- Vegan Ambassador at Jain Center
- 30% Jain Centers have active Vegan Ambassador, which can perform following duties:
- At least one major function food is VEGAN
- At least one scholar visit who promotes/lectures about the benefit of VEGANism
- Don't use GHEE in the Arti, instead use almond oil
- Provide and promote VEGAN options during all food served at Jain centers
- At least one web page dedicated to promote Veganism
- Discourage use of leather/fur products while buying apparel/wallets/purses/vehicles. The success of this goal can be measured if 20% Jains using leather have taken vow to not use them.
JAINA and YJA conventions
Following activities must be promoted at JAINA and YJA conventions:
- One full day of VEGAN food
- 20% of sessions onVEGANism
- One major skit/dance/play on theme on Veganism
- Contests and prizes for kids on Veganism
Compile literature in following areas (Different people are affected by different methods)
- Milk is not vegetarian
- Milk is an animal-based diet
- Vegetarianism means eating a plant-based diet
- Adult vegetarian animals do not consume milk e.g. horse/goat/elephant will not drink milk whereas dog/cat will drink milk in adult age.
- Veganism and Anekantvada; the hinsa of dairy is not a matter of perspective or opinion
- Veganism and Achaurya or asteya: taking milk from the mothers and baby constitutes stealing
Bad effects of dairy on health
- Bill Clinton CNN documentary "The Last Heart Attack"
- China Study
- Milk is the only external source of cholesterol in vegetarian diet
Dairy and Cruelty
- Undercover videos on animal conditions
- Develop literature like "Do you oppose slaughter houses? Slaughterhouse is a side effect of dairy industry.
- Why India is becoming a major exporter of beef?
- Veal/Beef is side effect of consuming dairy
- Dairy and bad effects on environment
- VEGAN celebrities
- Easy Vegan recipes (especially Indian sweets and cakes)
- Jains Myth buster
- Jain Thirthankar took milk
- Cow is like a mother
- Milking cows is taking away pain from them
- Infant babies consume milk that means milk is ok to drink as adult
FAQs on Veganism
Jain Pathshalas in North America
Jain Pathshalas to have following:
- All Pathshala books to have one chapter on VEGANism. VEGANism is true JAINism
- Level 5A & 5B kids/parents to make VEGAN sweet dish once during Pathshala food
- Distribute T-Shirts etc. to students with Vegan message
Jain Ahinsa Banner to have following message:
- veganism is about nonviolence: to other beings; to the self; to the environment.
Rules on educational lectures by Non-Jain groups
Those who are knowledgeable about Jainism and who can explain the importance of veganism from a Jain perspective should conduct education about veganism in the first stages. Outside non-Jain animal organizations are invited to give talks at JAINA events but it will be made clear that JAINA does not endorse any position promoted by these groups that is inconsistent with the understanding of veganism expressed herein and will provide the Jain perspective as a counterpoint if necessary.
- Charter awareness month among JAINA executive committee
- Finalize plan
Nov-Dec 2012: Recruitment of various positions (3-4Hrs/Week of dedication)
- Marketing coordinator: Printed materials for conventions and Jain temples, Web contents, Email blasts etc.
- YJA convention Representative
- JAINA convention representative
- JAINA Pathshala book coordinator
- Vegan food recipes coordinator
- Vegan Literature coordinator
- All key positions would develop the material for 6 months
- Recruitment of Vegan representative in JAIN Temples in NorthAmerica
Jul 2013 on-wards: