To establish Liaison with Academic institutions in North America that are promoting the study, teaching and research in the principles, philosophy, culture and history of Jain Dharma.
ROLE OF THE ACADEMIC LIAISON COMMITTEE
- Jainism is least known and most misunderstood in academia and in general public.
- Study of Jain dharma and the Jain community has not been on the radar screens of the academia and as a result the study of Jain dharma has significantly lagged behind that of other religions in the colleges and universities of North America.
- Only a handful of English speaking scholars are available & fewer young Jain scholars are being trained to take the place of the aging group of established Jain Scholars.
- Collaboratively working with Jain community and academic institutions, ALC seeks to develop a dialog with and facilitate the promotion of studies in Jain dharma by encouraging the training of newer and young faculty and establishment of Centers, Institutes and Chairs in Jain dharma at Academic Institution across North America.
WHAT WE HAVE DONE SO FAR?
College & University based Centers for Jain Studies
- Working with International School for Jain Studies in India (ISJS), nearly 525 faculty, scholars, students (Undergrad and Grad) and High School teachers have gone to India and studied Jainism.
Look at details on www.isjs.in
- 16 new and young scholars have obtained their PhDs and that many more are working towards their PhDs thus nearly tripling the number of English Speaking Jain scholars in the West.
- Most of the new and young scholars are alumnus of ISJS.
- Classes in Jainism are now regularly offered at 15+ institutions in North America each semester and nearly 2,000 students are now being exposed to Jainism.
- One full- fledged Chair and a few Centers /Institutes in Jain studies have been established and functioning at a few universities. This number is expected to grow significantly during the next few years.
- Quite a few books, theses and research papers have started coming out regularly.
- Sessions in Jain Dharma at prestigious AAR, and DANAM conferences are now regular features.
- Working with local Jain Centers/Sanghs, ALC holds regular MEET and GREET functions with Jain academics / Scholars during annual AAR and DANAM conventions.
OUR ONGOING PROGRESS
Centers for Jain Studies in United States of America TODAY!
- Centers for Jain Studies have expanded not only in the United States but across the globe in various nations.
- Besides US, we have centers for Jain studies in:
- United Kingdom
- Czech Republic
LIST OF CENTERS FOR JAIN STUDIES IN USA
- Loyola Marymount University - Los Angeles, CA
- Claremont Lincoln University, Claremont, CA
- Florida International University, Miami, FL- Bhagwan Mahavir Chair in Jainism; the first of its kind.
- Elizabethtown College, Elizabethtown, PA
- Eastern Connecticut State University, Willimantic, CT
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- University of North Texas - Denton, TX
- University of Hawaii and Windward Community College - Honolulu, HI
- Virginia Commonwealth University - Richmond, VA
- University of California - Berkeley. CA
- Yale University - New Haven, CT.
- Rutgers University - NJ
- NorthEastern University - Boston, MA
- Claremont School of Theology - Claremont, CA
LIST OF CENTERS FOR JAIN STUDIES AROUND THE GLOBE
- University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
- University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada.
- Vanier College - Montreal, Canada
- Anna Bazlez (a recent Ph.d in Jainism) has started teaching Jainism at a University in Israel
- Charles University - Prague, Czech Republic
- University of London, SOAS, London, U.K
- Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
- Freie University in Germany , Berlin. Germany
++ Many more
ACADEMIC LIAISON COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Dr. Sulekh C. Jain - Chairman
Dr. Nitin Shah, Los Angeles, CA
Mr. Dilip V. Shah - Philadelphia, PA
Mr. Sanjay Pandya - Staten Island, NY
Mr. Pravin K Shah - Raleigh, NC
Dr. Sulekh C. Jain
Chairperson JAINA Academic Liaison
4502 Saint Michaels Court, Sugar Land, TX 77479
Dr. Nitin Shah
Dilip V. Shah