To promote and encourage studies in Jainism and to spread the message of V.R. Gandhi. The scholarship is awarded to needy students pursuing higher education in Jain philosophy, literature and scriptures at recognized universities and institutions.
Click here to join the VR Gandhi Scholarship Group page.
Brief History of Activities:
ACHIEVEMENTS SINCE INCEPTION:
Scholarships and Publication of books:
JAINA VRG Committee awards these scholarships at recognized Universities/Institutions in India for higher Research/Ph.D./M.Phil studies in Jainism since 2001, being the 2600th birth anniversary year of Bhagwan Mahavirand coincidentally the death centenary year of Shri V. R. Gandhi.So far our VRG Committee has awarded to 52 such Scholarships to students, more than 50 % of them being non-Jains in about 20 Universities/Institutions.
Our Committee had published VRG's Biography ‘Jyotirdharni Jivan Gatha’ in Gujarati in the year 2001, in his death centenary year and 2600th birth year of Bhagvan Mahavir and later in 2003, the English version titled "Glimpses of Jainism and Biography of Forgotten Hero Shri Virchand Raghavji Gandhi".
Since the inception of this scholarship, progress reports, names of scholarship recipients, names of the donors and other details are regularly published in JAINA’s Quarterly Publication, Jain Digests.
Highlights of VRG Mission at Convention 2009:
- VRG Booth:6 feet by 3 feet VRG banner with hundreds ofcopies of each of the JAINA VRG Scholarship and Memorial/Stamp (with WJC/JAINA Logos) Brochuresas existed/posted currently onJAINA VRG Committee were kept at Booth.All copies were gone at the end of convention.
- VRG's Portrait 60 inches (5 feet) high by 42 inches with backing board/frame was displayed at the booth, at program hall and finally moved to Convention Main Entrance near to more than 100 year old magnificently carved wooden temple, a main attraction of L.A. Jain Temple Complex, at lower level.
- Anand rao Lingayat from L.A. Publisher of "GUNJAN" Guj. Bi-weekly published its Special Edition with VRG's picture on cover page and his own Article about VRG inside.Hundreds of its copies were kept at booth an all were gone at the end of Convention.
- On July 3, 09, Friday from 4-00 to 4-50 P.M. as planned by JAINA Program Committee, 50 Minutes Session from 4-00 to 4-50 P.M. was held in up stair hall with Dr. Dhirajbhai Shah, JAINA Past President, as Moderator, Pravin K.Shah, Prof. Anandrao and I, Pravin C. Shah as Speakers. Messages from persons such as Pratapbhai Bhogilal, Dr.Kumarpal Desai were read.
- Announcement of VRG Memorial Stamps and about VRG Memorial (Conversion of Shri V.R. Gandhi's Birth Home at Mahuva, Gujarat in to his Memorial) was done on July 4,Saturday morning in main Convention Hall.
- An Article "JAIN AWARENESS PRESENTED TO THE WEST" by India VRG Committee Member Pankaz Chandmal Hingrah was printed in Convention Souvenir.
To honor him (VRG) more for the above and for his bringing Awareness about Jain Religion to the West (North America and Europe) in person JAINA/WJC (World Jain Confederation) has jointly planned a long awaited Mega Event to be held in Mumbai on Nov.8,09 to release his Memorial Stamp Request to Issue Memorial Stamps in 2001 for Bagwan Mahavir in his 2600th Birth Year and Death Centenaries in 2001 of Shri V.R. Gandhi and Shrimad Rajchandra was made by JAINA in 1998 to then Prime Minister of India. Thus JAINA was Initiator for issue of VRG Memorial Stamps.
It is heartening to know that the Dept. of Post,Government of India is scheduled to issue commemorative stamps with First Day Cover, Brochure and Cancellation on this day.These exclusive philatelic items will be released at a grand event in the presence of the elite dignitaries like Past India President, Hon. Abdul Kalam, strictly vegetarian, and national leaders at Mumbai, India.A Special album, kit,Souvenir and his biography books will be released at the event.
VRG MEMORIAL-CUM-MUSEUM: CONVERSION OF HIS BIRTH HOME INTO HIS MEMORIAL:
JAINA & India's WJC are working jointly for permanent Memorial–cum-Museum by converting the ancestral home of Shri Virchand Raghavji Gandhi at Mahuva in Gujarat, India, into VRG's Memorial-cum-Museum which house, in addition to VRG’s all available historical materials - memorable plus Museum of Jainism,Auditorium,Pathshala (Religious School), Library and other related facilities.
VRG FAN CLUB and AN ESSAY COMPETITION:
For creating awareness, VRG FAN CLUB is being formed. Persons interested are requested to contact Pankaz C. Hingarh <email@example.com>.In future, we plan to have an Essay Competition on subjects like VRG's contribution towards Jain Religion or so and make a documentary film on VRG’s life and mission, arrange memorial lectures Jain Religion or so and make a documentary film on VRG’s life and mission, arrange memorial lectures.