|Jain Pathshala (school of philosophy and practice) is held to teach Jainism to students of all ages. The following is a set of Pathshala books (revised 3rd edition) presented by the JAINA Education Committee for all ages of students interested in learning Jainism. The books are grouped into four age levels with additional reference materials and posters. The books are presented in soft copy here. Hard copies can be ordered from the JAINA Education Committee. All proceeds from the books contribute to the JAINA Education Fund.
Please click here for the order form.
Level 1 Books: Ages 5-9
- Jain Activity Book (JES-101): This book is a lively and delightful approach to introduce Jainism to our children. With big color pictures of the Tirthankars’ Länchhans and Tirthankar’s Mother’s Dreams, this book is very user friendly for all children. Puzzles, mazes and questions at the end of the book will make learning very interesting. Simple explanations of Pujä, Arati, and symbols can help our children understand the meaning and importance of our traditions and rituals.
- Jain Alphabet Book (JES-103):This book introduces Jainism in an ABC format. 26 different words, from A to Z, are accompanied by pictures and explain cardinal principles of Jainism and Jain vocabulary. A for Ahimsa, M for Mahävir, and F for forgiveness are just some examples of the terminology represented in this book.
- Jain Moral Skits (JES-104): This book teaches very fundamental and important life lessons like honesty, truthfulness, sharing, humility, and friendship through simple skits that can be performed easily in the classroom with simple props. It also has helpful little stage directions for performing the skits. Children will relate very well to the simple drawings and humorous tone of this book.
- Tirthankar Game (Game 1) (Level 1 & 2): This game is a complement to the above book. This game creates an interest in the young mind to learn about Tirthankar’s name, birth place, parents’ names, and more.
Level 2 Books:Ages 10-12
- Jain Story Book (JES-202): The Jain Story Book, written very informatively, has beautiful color pictures to go with every story, and is in fact valuable for readers of all ages. Reading life stories of various Tirthankars, Ganadhars, Ächäryas, and Shrävaks will make us all proud of our rich heritage. Every story includes an inspiring Key Message, highlighted at the end. This very attractive book is a must for all Jain household with kids.
- First Step to Jainism (JES-203):This stunning full-color book is a unique approach to connect Jain principles to everyday life. Basic principles of Jainism are thoroughly explained and Jain values are exemplified with both stories from scriptures and more modern parables. Poems, anecdotes, and quotes from scriptures scattered throughout enliven the pages. Also included is a chapter on the practical aspects of Jainism, such as nutrition, consumer goods, and the environment that help us make conscious choices to lead a life of nonviolence. At the end of the book is an illustrated section on yoga and a glossary of Jain vocabulary. This beautiful book is essential for every Jain household.
Level 3 Books:Ages 13-15
- Jain Philosophy and Practice I (JES-302): This book presents an introduction to the tenets of Jainism, in a methodical way. Concepts include Jain theism, the theory of Karma, the five major and twelve minor vows, and a brief synopsis of Jain history and more. The chapter on the application of non-violence in everyday life and its relevance to preserving the environment makes a solid ground for practicing Ahimsa. This introductory text encourages youth to learn more about Jainism.
Level 4 Books: Ages 16+
- Jain Philosophy and Practice II (JES-401):This book covers all major subject matter of Jainism in a very comprehensive style. Topics like threefold path of liberation, codes of conduct and vows of an ascetic and a householder, meditation, contemplation, stages of spiritual development, theory of multiplicity of view points, six fundamental truths, Jain history, and Jain Ägam literature are explained in detail with Jain terminology and its meaning. This book will be very useful for advanced study of Jainism for a high school or a collage student.
- JAINA Education CD (CD): The CD contains about 2000 text and graphic files, which cover a variety of information on Jainism. All told, the CD has about 10,000 pages of total printed material. It covers the fundamentals of Jainism, and includes several textbooks on Jainism by Ächäryas and scholars. In the special Jain Presentations section there are very interesting Powerpoint presentations about the Tattvärtha Sutra, Pratikraman, the basics of Jainism, Anekäntaväda, Tirths in India, and much more.
- JAINA E-Library DVD (DVD): Over 650 Jain E-Books
- Jainism - Religion of Compassion and Ecology (JES-901):This booklet provides a basic introduction of the Jain religion to English speaking Jain youth of North America and other countries. It briefly covers various aspects of Jain philosophy, ethics, conduct, scriptures, religious holidays, prayers, symbols, and the life of Lord Mahävir. It is also helpful for a beginner of Jainism as it touches important aspects of Jainism in an easy manner. Several Jain temples give this book to its visitors.
- Essence of World Religions (JES-911): This book is a simple summary of the world’s 12 major spiritual paths. With its easy readability you can get a good grasp of the essential truths of every major faith practiced today. Information about the founder, major scriptures, sects, beliefs and holidays is given in a concise manner. Comparison between Indian and western religion at the end of the book is very helpful in understanding the concepts clearly.
- The Book of Compassion - English (JES-921E): This book is a compilation of informative articles about animal cruelty in dairy industry, animal byproducts used in everyday goods, animal testing for cosmetics, and meat industry’s effect on polluting the environment. It also gives useful information on use of alternative products to avoid violence, so we can live an ethical and compassionate life.