Chariot of our success.... on journey towards Self-realization
Be aware of the critical factors at play... for a successful journey towards Self-realization. And then… raise your awareness.
By: Himanshu K. Gandhi
When it comes to spiritual pursuit towards Self-realization... chariot of our journey comes with…
- Two horses… that of
- Purushartha or concerted self effort... and,
- Absolute and unflinching faith in path of His wisdom
Vitality, strength and size of each of these horses will greatly determine pace, and momentum if any, of our progress. Fodder for each of them comes from our absorption of knowledge laid out in Jinvani… and depth & rigor of our introspection, or quite contemplation. As we zealously feed right fodder to the horses, they will gain strength… and grow in size.
- Inhibiting of our passions… of greed, deceit, ego, anger
- Curbing sensuous urges… to please senses of sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste and mind
- Satsang… virtuous fellowship
- Vitragta... gradual cutting away of all cords that are not aligned with the objective.
Our ability to sustain and surge in each of the above areas, will greatly determine the strength and size of the wheels. While wheels may be uneven and weak at inception, as we earnestly focus on lending strength to each of them… they in turn will support and strengthen each other… and grow in size.
As we earnestly set on the voyage…
- a Guru/Sacha Sarthi or guiding force… to keep our zeal and tempo on... towards the ultimate goal.
The momentum that our chariot is able to take, or sustain... depends upon…
- The Terrain... laid out by... uneven highs, rifts and valleys of our past unsettled account of our Karmic cart.
- And Weather… along the way… largely defined by Kal and Kshetra we find ourselves in.
The only possible way we can successfully navigate through rough terrain and inhospitable weather, as above, is by adopting and sustaining Samta Bhav or even-keel temperament. Without which, our chariot will break apart and our journey will come to a standstill… or even lose ground that we might have already covered.
My friend... Are you on… or for the voyage? I am.
About the author: Himanshu is based in Boston, MA and is an avid follower of Jainism. He administers a Facebook group ‘SSS… Solution Starts with Self’, where his effort is to support thoughts that enrich the base ethos of simple, straightforward and honest conduct, to break the pace of greed and vice, everywhere we see. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.